9.1.09

teeny tiny tears

When I was a little girl, I was obsessed with the idea of owning a Teeny Tiny Tears doll - a baby doll who shed real tears and even wet her nappy! Stereotyping aside, I loved her and desperately wanted one. Family legend goes that in the absence of the ready cash to make my dreams of early motherhood come true, my parents drilled some small holes in a less damply inclined doll! I not sure if any of us remember whether it's truth or myth, but it's a great story (and I for one think that's what counts!). Either way, it's been on my mind alot recently... is that a worry given my impending motherhood? Finding this softer than soft alpaca silk in our local wool shop, I decided to knit a teeny tiny something for my very own Teeny Tiny Tears. I know this won't last much longer than his trip home from the hospital but I really wanted a cosy fitted something for him rather than something to grow into. It's so soft, knit in the round so there are no nasty seams - or nasty sewing up! - with a cuddly moss stitch collar to guard against the March winds. And with the scraps left, a pair of teeny tiny socks, based on this pattern, but knit with little moss stitch panels instead of garter. And I'd have to confess to a few teeny tiny tears of my own when I first buttoned it up on the hanger... C

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the story is absolutely true and there were two dolls given the hot needle treatment - one for you and one for your sister!

Ali said...

I think I'd have cried too - such small perfection.

Jennyff said...

Adorable, what a good start in life your Tiny will have.